Steps 1, 2 & 3

Steps 1, 2 & 3
"Cracklin Rose" Design

Friday, September 20, 2013

Black and White Room

I have had plans to makeover this guest room for quite sometime, and as always I had put it off until a deadline was looming overhead.  We were expecting my daughter-in-laws parents from Malaysia to see our newborn granddaughter for the first time. This was going to require that room to be refinished in a hurry. No time to run around finding new furniture.  So I was forced to look around the house for some things I had on hand to work with.
 
First things first, find a bedspread to begin the theme.  I searched online for a bargain and purchased this comforter set.  Mostly because it had the Damask design that I have been drawn to lately. The metallic finish is only explained by my love of all things shiny and glittery. 

Not sure why I chose this color but once the bedspread arrived, it seemed to me my only choice for color on the walls was going to be black. First, convince my husband of this color choice, then off to purchase the paint.
Next was a quick little redo of these little chest of drawers that have been around since before our 43 year marriage.  They began as my little dresser in my bedroom as a teenager.  Once married and expecting our first child we painted them yellow and white for the nursery.  Through the years these little chest of drawers have been every color of the rainbow depending on the purpose they served Once pink in my daughters bedroom then painted black for both kids college dorm rooms. Back home to be used for storage in my studio.   I painted them with  Chalk Paint® Old White and stenciled the damask design with Graphite, of course.
 
As luck would have it, at the same time, my husband was cleaning out a storage area and pulled out this old frame that had old chipping paint and said, "You want this in the trash don't you?" My response,  "What??? Are you kidding?? That chipping paint is beautiful!".  I immediately painted it over with Chalk Paint® Old White and distressed it. 


Then I deco-podged my three grandchildren in black and white prints onto boards and hung them in the middle of the picture frame openings.  I have since removed the ribbon and have the photo attached directly to the wall.  Much safer, since the ribbons gave way and the photos were landed on the pillows the next morning.  I am certain that could have been a rude awakening for my guests in the middle of the night.  They may have thought I was attempting to eliminate my competition for our new granddaughters affections. (Never crossed my mind, I promise)

We finished this room in one weekend.  I am still on the hunt for new lamps, a chair and a couple of other little additions but at least with the quick little makeover with new linens and fresh paint I didn't feel I was asking my guests to sleep in a storage room.

This room has so much light streaming in and it feels so cozy in these colors.  I just love it.



 
 

10 comments:

  1. This is a great post Mom. I am trying to figure out how I never knew that there were two of those dressers, I thought there was only one all these years. The room looks even better since the last time I saw it. I guess you are going to have to invite us out for an overnighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose - great blog. And great redo. Black is a scary move for a big wall - but it looks great. I guess black is not much more than red - and I'd paint a big wall red in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, I did consider red but that color is a little scary for me.

      Delete
  3. Lovely!!!!! What a great looking room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible makeover, Rose!
    Wow!!
    Love seeing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, Heather that is because you only had one in your room and Kevin had the other which was always a different color than yours. Kind of funny that you never connected the two as being the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, That room looks GREAT! Your creativity inspires me. Not sure of Jacks response when you said paint the room black but I know what my 1st response would have been.... (you probably wouldn't like me if I told you) lol. I also like the picture showing your progress. Thumbs up to you and Jack-a-roo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I take that as a great compliment coming from such a talented artist. Jacks response was "NO" Are you kidding me?" So I drug him to the paint store to look at color swatches with me. Then he agreed with the black and actually enjoyed helping paint that room. Go figure. LOL

      Delete