Steps 1, 2 & 3

Steps 1, 2 & 3
"Cracklin Rose" Design

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wood Icing Make Overs

Well it seems that since Annie Sloan has hit the scene, there have been a few Wood Icing projects getting makeovers. In the past most of my finishes involved very little paint and a lot of glazing and staining. Now that I have found this amazing product "Annie Sloan Chalk Paint", I can't seem to stop looking for things to paint!
As an example of this I am going to show you this entertainment center that I resurfaced with Wood Icing about 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe more??
Nonetheless, it has been around quite some time and we loved it for a long while. But my son Kevin and daughter-in-law Yasmeen wanted to get us into this century and were so sweet to gave us a flat screen TV for Christmas. Of course, it didn't fit this entertainment center, but as my 12 yr old grandson Max said "Grammy will just see this as an opportunity to create something else for this space". He knows me so well. LOL
We were going to let it go on Craig's List or something, but as luck would have it, two of our Annie Sloan shelves in the Wood Icing Studio Gallery collapsed under the weight of the cans. So off it went to the studio for a makeover.
Here you see I painted the crown and outside with Old White.
Yes, I am using a sponge roller. I wanted a fairly smooth finish with very little texture on the flat surfaces.
Here is a close up of the Wood Icing raised leaf design which has been done with Wood Icing using a Royal Design Studio stencilhttp://www.royaldesignstudio.com/collections/nature-and-floral-stencils/products/scattered-autumn-leaves-stencil that was already on the previous finish , which I painted in Old White.
As you can see it is nice but kind of boring without a little accent color. So of course I pulled out my Annie Sloan Clear Soft Wax and Dark Soft Wax.
I first applied a thin coat of Clear Soft Wax then followed with a mixture of 50/50 Clear Soft Wax and Dark Soft Wax.
Then I went back with some Clear Wax and wipe back the high spots in order to highlight the leaf design and textured background.
Here is a close up of the finished crown before it's installation.
Here is a shot of it after I painted and waxed the inside of the shelves Graphite, which I am in love with. Look for more Graphite projects.
All done and ready to go. Filled with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!
Next project....????

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful makeover, Rose!
    Love the colors and contrast...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete